Ghosts, goblins and spending… oh my!
According to the National Retail Federation (NRF) consumers are expected to spend $8.8 billion (yes, billion with a B) on Halloween this year! According to their survey, consumers plan to spend $3.2 billion on costumes, $2.6 billion on candy, $2.7 billion on decorations and $390 million on greeting cards! Which means, an average consumer will spend about $86.27 on Halloween this year. So if you’re tight on cash, that figure may be scary. Therefore, don’t get spooked into spending this year, and save with our wicked ways to save on costumes, candy, decorations and cards!
Get Creative with Costumes
You don’t have to spend a grave amount on costumes each year. Instead, get creative and make a truly terrifying impact on a tiny budget with these frugal ways to save.
- Visit consignment or thrift stores.
- Make your own costume.
- Recycle last year’s costume.
- Swap costumes with friends.
- Sell previous costumes.
- Shop your closet.
- Only purchase accessories.
- Swap out a mask for makeup.
- Buy reduced costumes after the holiday.
Get Thrifty With Your Decorations
Why spend a fortune to make your home look like the only think living in there are ghosts, spiders and cobwebs when you spend thousands of dollars the rest of the year trying to rid your home of them? Instead, save with these thrifty tricks.
- Check out dollar stores for decor.
- Shop secondhand.
- DIY decorations.
- Recycle last year’s decorations.
- Invest in quality decor items that can be used year after year.
- Stock up on clearance.
Simply Save on Candy
Don’t be frightened by the high prices on candy this time of year. Find sweet savings on candy with these tricks for treats.
- Shop early.
- Clip candy coupons.
- Buy candy in bulk.
- Check the regular candy aisle, too.
- Find “Buy 1, Get 1” deals.
- Shop generic brands.
- Limit chocolate candy.
- Shop online.
- Don’t overbuy.
- Portion control.
- Go non-candy.
Get Crafty with Cards
Greeting cards have become hauntingly expensive. Don’t get spooked into spending, and save with these crafty ways to save.
- Make your own Halloween card.
- Reuse past cards.
- Check out the 99 cent card selection.
- Send and e-card instead.
- Shop after the holiday.